Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Scrubby All Purpose Cleaner- Save Money, Be Green!



So I usually blog about food because I am a foodie but I am also into something else; saving money and being green all at the same time.  Having helped a lot of friends move I have inherited an impressive number of random cleaners and cleaning supplies.  After three years though the collection is significantly depleted and I've had to get more creative with what I have.  Let me give you some examples.

1. Did you know that window cleaner makes excellent toilet bowl cleaner? So does vinegar, Soft Scrub, bleach, and Simple Green.

2. Scrubby cleaners like comet work great for cleaning your kitchen sink, but filling the sink with water and adding a little bleach works better and requires no scrubbing :)

3. Newspapers, not paper towels, work best for cleaning windows.

I think you get the idea.

There was just one thing that I didnt have a cleaner for: the oven.  I had noticed that after 3 years of intense (daily) usage that my oven had developed a fine layer of ash at the bottom.  Which experiment of mine was responsible for this ash I have no idea but I thought it might be best to clean it off, given that the oven was starting to smell like smoke.  And that is what leads me to this cleaner, my gift to you.  Save money, clean things, and prosper.



Scrubby All- Purpose Cleaner
1 Part Table Salt (not iodized)
1 Part Baking Soda

Combine in a container, preferably one with a shaker top like an old spice jar.  Easy, right?

Wet the surface to be cleaned.  Sprinkle on cleaner, leave for 5 minutes.  Scrub lightly with a sponge.  Rinse.

I use this on all my sinks, the tub, the oven.  Any where there is a enameled like surface. Obviously you will want to test an area if you are not sure.  This cleaner easily cuts soap scum and somehow my tub takes longer to get dirty after using this than when I use a commercial scrubbing cleaner.  Store in a sealed container.

Helpful Hint: If you want it scented you can add a few drops of essential oil.  However the scent may not last very long if you make a big batch of this cleaner and store it. You can also add lemon, lime, or grapefruit peelings (I've had more success with this), just make sure they are in small enough pieces that its ok if they go down the drain.

1 comment:

  1. I keep meaning to experiment with cleaning with baking soda, but never quite manage to do so. So thanks very much for this - most helpful :)

    ReplyDelete